Australian Rail Journeys
The Ghan Expedition
3 Nights / 4 days
from AU$3,235 per person
Beginning in Darwin, this all-inclusive experience will take you to some of the most remote and captivating parts of Australia in style and comfort. Discover signature experiences like the spectacular starlit dining experience in Alice Springs. Operating April to October 2022, your adventure through the country’s vast and captivating interior will leave you with an incredible story to tell.
DAY 1 DARWIN AND KATHERINE
Your journey begins with a morning departure from Darwin. Once you’re settled into your cabin, make your way to the restaurant for lunch accompanied by a selection of Australian wines.
Following an early afternoon arrival at the famous Top End township of Katherine, choose between Nitmiluk Gorge’s natural wonders and rich Indigenous culture, or the adventure
of an outback horse and working dog demonstration.
DAY 2 ALICE SPRINGS
This morning you’ll be greeted by a view of the spectacular Red Centre. A full day of experiences awaits you in the iconic outback town of Alice Springs. An optional upgrade is a scenic flight to Uluru, returning in time to meet the rest of your fellow guests at a spectacular dinner under the stars.
DAY 3 MANGURI AND COOBER PEDY
From your morning stop at Manguri, venture into the weird and wonderful opal mining town of Coober Pedy, where the residents live underground. Dinner is served back on the train where you can enjoy a nightcap as your journey continues.
DAY 4 ADELAIDE
Enjoy a leisurely brunch as you prepare for your mid-morning arrival into Adelaide.
The Great Southern
2 Nights / 3 days
from AU$2,115 per person
From Adelaide to Brisbane, or reverse, explore Australia’s south-east in laid-back luxury on Journey Beyond’s newest rail experience.
With its rugged coastline, sun-kissed beaches, forested peaks, the stunning journey between Brisbane and Adelaide feels like nowhere else in Australia.
DAY 1 ADELAIDE AND THE GRAMPIANS
As the train leaves Adelaide, take your time to settle in and get familiar with your cabin. Enjoy morning tea and then savour a relaxed lunch on board while watching the ever-changing landscape glide by. In the afternoon, the train will arrive in regional Victoria where you’ll have a chance to experience the spectacular wilderness of the Grampians region. Choose from a range of Off Train Experiences.
DAY 2 CANBERRA AND SURROUNDS
Today is yours to spend in Australia’s political and cultural capital, Canberra. After breakfast on board, enjoy a coach ride to Canberra to experience a truly memorable lunch and immersive touring at your pick of cultural institutions, including the National War Memorial and Parliament House, before returning to the train in time for dinner. Enjoy another sumptuous dinner on board before retiring to the lounge for a nightcap.
DAY 3 COFFS HARBOUR AND SURROUNDS
Enjoy breakfast on board before a relaxed morning taking in the views, walks and beachside markets of Coffs Harbour and surrounds with a choice of experiences. After lunch back on board, sit back and relax for the afternoon as you travel through the stunning scenery of northern New South Wales towards your final destination of Brisbane.
The Indian Pacific
4 Days / 3 nights
from AU$2,065 per person
For more than 50 years the Indian Pacific has enchanted guests with its unique perspective of the Australian landscape. Spanning the full width of the country, this incredible 65-hour, transcontinental journey is enough to stir the wanderlust in anyone.
The second you step aboard, you encounter a world of supreme comfort. It’s the perfect place to unwind, as you journey through Australia’s vast landscape.
DAY 1 SYDNEY
Your transcontinental adventure begins in Sydney where you board the Indian Pacific. As the train winds through the breathtaking Blue Mountains, sit down for your first meal on board – a regionally-inspired dinner paired with all-inclusive beverages.
DAY 2 BROKEN HILL, BAROSSA VALLEY AND ADELAIDE SURROUNDS
You arrive in the Silver City of Broken Hill as the day begins, where you embark on a morning of Off Train Experiences. Lunch is served on board as the Indian Pacific enters the southern tip of the spectacular and ancient Flinders Ranges. Arriving in the city of Adelaide in the afternoon, you have the choice of a tour of the city, a visit to the world famous Barossa Valley or McLaren Vale (seasonal) wine regions, or a trip to the beautiful Adelaide Hills featuring the culinary delights of Hahndorf.
DAY 3 NULLARBOR PLAIN
You’ll awake to the seemingly endless expanse of the Nullarbor Plain. Breakfast is served as you travel along the longest stretch of straight railway track in the world. This evening, enjoy the tranquility of dinner off the train and under the stars in the remote and beautiful Rawlinna (seasonal).
DAY 4 PERTH
Breakfast is served as you glide through the colourful patchwork of rolling hills of the Avon Valley on your way to Perth, arriving after an on board lunch.
The Great Ghan Adventure
7 Nights / 8 days
from AU$5,399 per person twin share
This epic four-day, three-night train journey onboard The Ghan in Gold Service travels from Darwin, through Katherine, Alice Springs, Coober Pedy, and finally on to Adelaide.
At each stop (Katherine, Alice Springs, and Coober Pedy), travellers can choose from a wide-range of included and upgradable off-train excursions to make their adventure uniquely their own.
Enjoy The Ghan’s luxurious amenities onboard while watching the landscapes of the outback pass from the windows.
PACKAGE ALSO INCLUDES:
- Rail travel as per itinerary
- 2 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Darwin
- 2 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Adelaide
- 3 nights onboard The Ghan in Gold Service
- Hop-on-Hop-off pass in Darwin
- Optional excursions in Katherine including
- Cruise to Katherine Gorge in Nitmiluk National Park
- Alice Springs and outback tour with BBQ dinner
- Tour of Coober Pedy and Adelaide
Sydney to Darwin
10 Nights / 11 days
from AU$5,799 per person twin share
- Enjoy the rail holiday of a lifetime aboard two of the world’s most iconic trains: The Indian Pacific and The Ghan.
- This adventure takes you from the bright lights and beautiful harbour of Sydney to the cosmopolitan city of Adelaide, and the wonder that is Kangaroo Island.
- From Adelaide, travel through the Red Centre of Australia onboard The Ghan – the longest train in the world, to the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory, Darwin.
PACKAGE ALSO INCLUDES:
- 1-night aboard The Indian Pacific Train in Gold Class from Sydney to Adelaide
- 2 nights aboard The Ghan Train in Gold Class from Adelaide to Darwin
- 4 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Sydney
- 3 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Adelaide
- 3 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Darwin
- Group Tour of Broken Hill
- Kangaroo Island Day Trip from Adelaide
- Outback Experience in Marla
- Katherina Outback Experience (April to October only)
- Hop-on-Hop-off pass in Darwin
The best of Queensland
10 Days / 9 nights
from AU$3,799 per person twinshare
Discover the very best Queensland has to offer on this unbelievable holiday by rail.
Travel by sleeper train from Sydney to Brisbane and explore the city for a day, then another spectacular overnight journey to Cairns. Here embark on a breath-taking day trip on the Kuranda railway, cruise out to the Great Barrier Reef and drive to the tropical north and the wonder of Daintree Forest and Cape Tribulation before following your tracks back to Sydney.
PACKAGE ALSO INCLUDES:
- Ride one of the most scenic trains in Australia on the Kuranda Scenic Railway
- Take to the sky above the beautiful Wet Tropics on the Skyrail cableway
- Discover the true Aboriginal culture and way of life at Tjapukai Cultural Park
- Enjoy a once in a lifetime day sailing out to The Great Barrier Reef
- Double Cabin accommodation from Sydney to Brisbane
- 3 nights onboard sleeper trains
- 2 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Brisbane
- 4 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast in Cairns
- Great Barrier Reef cruise from Cairns
- Full day tour from Cairns to Daintree Forest and Cape Tribulation (Wed and Sat only)