There are many reasons to visit Japan, with something for almost everyone.
Having one of the oldest civilisations, it has a beautiful and diverse history.
The environment is clean, with stunning, diverse scenery – mountains and breathtaking views.
The architecture ranges from majestic temples to unique castles.
The people are polite and friendly, public transportation is easy and reliable. It is a safe country.
Cherry blossom season and exciting summer festivals. World-class powder snow for skiing. Hot springs and unique bathing rituals.
Advanced technology. Manga and anime. The birthplace of karaoke.
And don’t forget Japanese cuisine!
If you love to travel independently, but with locally-guided tours and in-country emergency assistance and support services, then our Planned Self-Guided Adventures are just the ticket for you.
Any Self-Guided Adventure can be arranged to start on any day of the year. They can be tweeked according to your interests, comfort levels and for operational reasons.
NB Prices are subject to availability, currency fluctuations and seasonal supplements at time of booking. Please enquire when ready to book.
14-day Itinerary for Independent Travellers
Starting in Tokyo and ending in Osaka, this 14 day trip wanders around Japan taking in some of the best highlights.
Drink a cup of green tea at the picturesque Golden Pavilion, contemplate Zen at Ryoan-ji’s rock garden and wander through the thousands of vermillion shrine gates that line the paths of Fushimi Inari Taisha.
10-day Itinerary for Independent Travellers
Japan’s Golden Route – Tokyo – Mt Fuji – Kyoto
from AU$3708 per person twin share
The Golden Route showcases the very best of Japan, combining the fascinating and disparate cities of Tokyo and Kyoto with the beautiful countryside of Hakone National Park near Mount Fuji. This flexible itinerary is ideal for the first time visitor.
- Marvel at stunning mountain scenery in Hakone
- Discover the sights of Tokyo with an Insider expert
- Whizz through the country on the Shinkansen bullet train
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage temples in Kyoto
- Stay at a traditional ryokan inn
- Take a day trip to one of the many attractions near Kyoto.
9-Day Authentic Samurai and Sake Experience
from AU$18,140 per person twin share
- Learn the brewing process of Sake and enjoy tastings
- Practice traditional Zen meditation and Okaidan Meguri, a Samurai ritual to cleanse your body
- Meet katana artisans in their own ateliers, watch them practice their craft and learn their life stories, and discover why the katana is a revered part of Japanese history and culture
- Embark on a unique dining experience
- Immerse yourself in local cultural traditions with a doll-making experience and try your hand at making one yourself
- Wander through the beautiful Kabusugi Giant Cedar Forest, with ancient pine trees aged 400-500 years old